Re: [ODBC] MD5 support for ODBC

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ODBC] MD5 support for ODBC
Date: 2001-11-13 22:08:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Nope, this doesn't work. The source directory is not necessarily the
> > current directory.
>
> OK, I will remove it. However, many of our Makefiles that do ../..

The *build* directory is always the current directory, so '..' stuff is
okay to refer to built files. But to reference source files you need to
start with $(srcdir) or $(top_srcdir), whichever is convenient.

> Also, should we add such checks to the other files that must remain
> identical?

I don't think we have any others that must remain identical per se.

In general, checks for source code sanity are okay, but if you want them
in a makefile they should be under the maintainer-check target, not in the
build path. However, since there is very little that merits an automated
check of this sort, I doubt very many people would actually run this
target.

> Yes, I already do a symlink for md5.c in libpq. The problem is that
> ODBC has to compile stand-alone, with no reference to any outside
> directory.

Okay, that's reasonable. I think making a note in the file under odbc/
should be sufficient. Possibly include which CVS revision of the original
the copy is based on, so one can see when it needs updating. Also, a note
in the venerable RELEASE_CHANGES file seems appropriate.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net