Re: Retrieving a list of tables

From: <erle(at)hindang(dot)msuiit(dot)edu(dot)ph>
To: "David C(dot) Brown" <dbrown(at)centennialwines(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Retrieving a list of tables
Date: 2001-10-17 20:59:34
Lists: pgsql-php

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, David C. Brown wrote:

> Heyas,
>
> I need to be able to get a list of the tables from a postgresql from
> php. I'm
> porting a php-mysql website over to postgresql. I have a form that
> populates
> a <SELECT> statment with the tables in the db.
>
> In Mysql I just used the sql query "SHOW TABLES;" postgresql doesn't
> support that sql statment, and pg-php doesn't like me sending a "\d" as
> query.
>
> Anyone have any help, or ideas how I may be able to work around this?
> or is there a query for pg-sql that I don't know about?
>
> Any and all help would be great... Thanx
>
> Dave

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Hey ,....

If you want to know the list of tables in a certain database,
you can query the pg_table table.

select * from pg_tables where tableowner = 'ME';

Its not really a table but a view, it contains all the tables in a
database where you connected including the system tables of postgres so be
sure to filter your query.

Let me know if this was what you need ....

Erle Czar S. Mantos
erle(at)hindang(dot)msuiit(dot)edu(dot)ph

---------- MARTIANS LAIR ---------