Proposed installation dir change

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposed installation dir change
Date: 2001-09-13 23:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would like to do the following: Put the dynamically loadable shared
objects for the language handlers (language handlers being the only shared
objects we install by default) into a private subdirectory
'$(libdir)/postgresql'. The default directory where the backend looks for
shared objects will point at this location.

Advantages: Cleaner file system layout, keeps things out of $(libdir).

We can install the contrib modules into that directory without cluttering
the file system. Then we can eliminate hard-coding the path to the contrib
modules because they will be found in the directory by default.

Third-party extension modules can put their files into this directory
without worries about file system clashes. (I would encourage third-party
products to use their own installation hierarchy, because otherwise
they'll have the same problems as we have with Perl, but it is a
convenient solution nevertheless.)

There should not be any compatibility problems because these files aren't
accessed directly. The binary packages already do this, because of some
of these concerns.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter