Spelling

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Spelling
Date: 2001-09-11 15:35:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

A have a small note on the exciting subject of orthography. I have
developed a DocBook-aware spell-checking toolchain, which keys off the
markup to decide which parts of a file contain English text, as opposed to
program listings, etc. Since we have not applied markup in super-pedantic
ways (and don't worry, I don't plan to police you), the signal-to-noise
ratio isn't exactly pretty right now, but the test has still turned up a
fair number of typos, honest mistakes, and inconsistencies.

If we can migrate to a consistent spelling in the documentation and the
programs themselves, it would give a more pleasant feeling to the system,
IMHO. The following is my view of the rules -- feel free to correct me.

* "multi" is not a word by itself, so there is no hyphenation when it's
used as a prefix:

multibyte character, multicharacter operator name, multiversion
concurrency control, multicolumn index

* Many terms that are written as one word when used as identifiers in
computer programs should be written as two words in English, such as:

file name, user name, host name, data type, file system, time zone,
time stamp, index scan, bug fix, query tree, range table

When these words are used as adjectives then they are hyphenated, e.g.:

time-zone database, bug-fix release; also: built-in function

* Spelling unclear:

runtime -- Probably better "run time" (cf. build time), but it looks weird.
netmask -- I'd prefer "net mask" (cf. subnet mask), but "netmask" seems
to have established itself.
oid/Oid/OID -- probably "OID"
timeout (noun) -- Dictionary has "time-out", which seems right.
mergejoin -- probably "merge join"
mergejoinable -- probably "merge-joinable"

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter