Table vs. row level locks confusion

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Table vs. row level locks confusion
Date: 2001-09-04 10:59:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The following section

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/locking-tables.html

titled "Locking and Tables", has two subsections, "Table-level locks" and
"Row-level locks". Under table-level locks we find lock names such as
RowShareLock and RowExclusiveLock -- are those table-level locks? Under
row-level locks we find no specific lock names mentioned.

What I wonder is, if I do

BEGIN;
LOCK table1 IN ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE;

what do I lock? The table? A row? Which row?

Clarification appreciated.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter