Re: 7.1.3, IRIX 6.5 and gcc

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruno Mattarollo <bruno(at)web1(dot)greenpeace(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.1.3, IRIX 6.5 and gcc
Date: 2001-08-28 15:20:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruno Mattarollo writes:

> Thanks Peter! That solved the problem and I could get postgresql 7.1.3 to
> compile.

Okay, the fix has been checked in for the next release.

> Actually it works :) It seems that for my needs now, this GCC is
> enough...

I'm referring to the note at http://freeware.sgi.com/howto.html:

* gcc vs. cc

Code that runs fine when compiled with SGI cc
and doesn't run when compiled with gcc might be
calling one of the following functions:

inet_ntoa, inet_lnaof, inet_netof, inet_makeaddr, semctl

(there may be others). These are functions
that get passed or return structs that are smaller than 16
bytes but not 8 bytes long. gcc and SGI cc
are incompatible in the way they pass these structs so
compiling with gcc and linking with the SGI
libc.so (which was compiled with the SGI cc) is likely to
cause these problems. Note that this problem
is pretty rare since such functions are not widely used.
This may be considered a bug in gcc but is too involved to fix I'm told.

PostgreSQL calls at least semctl(), but not necessarily during mere
"seeing if it works". So be careful.

Check out the above site for more resources about open source software on
Irix.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter