Man page section for SQL commands

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Man page section for SQL commands
Date: 2001-08-21 20:31:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

This has been thrown around a few times, but it still needs fixing. Some
systems don't support the 'l' section for man pages. In any case, for
most systems, 'l' is not the right section (unless possibly you put all
man pages there, 'l' = local).

I suggest that for each supported platform we define which section would
be appropriate (usually 5 or 7); the default could still be 'l' if we
don't know better. However, we build the man pages with some dummy
section like 'XX' and run a sed command like listed at the bottom of
FAQ_SCO upon installation to substitute the correct section.

This should be quick, simple, and harmless. Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter