Re: Backup of large objects

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Srinivasa Rao Chava <chava45(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup of large objects
Date: 2001-07-12 15:04:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Srinivasa Rao Chava writes:

> 1) How to backup Large objects, because pg_dump will not backup the large
> objects. Can anybody help with some examples.

Use pg_dump 7.1 or later, it can back up large objects. Look at the man
page for the option, it escapes me at the moment.

> 2)How big is the database that postgresql can support?

unlimited

> 3)How to change the size and datatype of a column in a table.

You can't do that directly. You need to save your data (with pg_dump,
maybe), recreate the changed table, and restore your data. There are
numerous examples in the archives.

> 4) Up to which point can the data be restored? Is it upto the point of
> backup taken or upto the point of system crash?

Not sure what you mean here. Certainly you can keep storing data after
having made a backup.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter