Re: [GENERAL] Multiple Indexing, performance impact

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Åkerud <zilch(at)home(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Multiple Indexing, performance impact
Date: 2001-06-23 16:32:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> Would you suggest that we have no default at all, and make users pick
> something?

No. I'm concerned that PostgreSQL should work out of the box for
everyone. And I would prefer that PostgreSQL works the same on every
platform out of the box. Obviously we've already lost this on systems
where the default shmmax is 512kB (SCO OpenServer, Unixware) or 1 MB
(Solaris), and reducing the parameters is clearly not an option. But if a
plurality of systems have the default set at 4 MB or 8 MB then we should
stop there so we don't upset a large fraction of users.

Btw., do we have any data on how appropriate wal_buffers = 8 is?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter