Re: Please review: Authentication after fork

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please review: Authentication after fork
Date: 2001-06-16 18:21:44
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane writes:

> > * Is it okay to ignore the count field in the password packet and read
> > the actual password like a null-terminated string? That was only there
> > for the postmaster way of handling incomplete packets, right?
>
> Seems like we ought to keep the packet-parsing rules the same, to avoid
> possible introduction of client compatibility problems.

Hmm, the current code cuts off the password at 99 (+/-1) characters. I
think there's a TODO item to get rid of those limits, and sending anything
else would be a (rather stupid) protocol violation anyway, so I think I
will keep this part.

> Um, shouldn't collection of the startup packet be done after the fork?

To handle query cancel requests we'd need to take a peek in the
postmaster, unless we want to start up a new backend for that. Also, I'm
not sure how the SSL negotiation would work. It's doable, might be
worthwhile, but should be a separate consideration.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter