Re: libpq++ in Apache Problem.

From: <pgsql-interfaces(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "J(dot) T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)cistron(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: libpq++ in Apache Problem.
Date: 2001-05-28 17:25:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 28 May 2001, J. T. Vermeulen wrote:
>On Sun, 27 May 2001, pgsql-interfaces(at)commandprompt(dot)com wrote:
>>So... I'm really at a loss here on what's going on, and wondering if
>>anyone has some insight? I can give more technical details if necessary,
>>that's just the gist of the problem.
>Just a thought: You're not using exit(), are you?

Heh, nope. ;) I wish it were that simple.

The httpd process itself doesn't end, in fact. It just keeps on running,
which is the problem, because it accumulates postmaster connections with
each request until it's killed.

What is perplexing is why the destructor doesn't seem to be doing its job
when called from inside httpd, inexplicably. It is definitely reaching
that point in the code, but it just doesn't disconnect.

Further frustrating the matter, I tried not dynamically creating the
PgDatabase on the heap, and just made it a local variable on the stack.
Eg, PgDatabase foo(); instead of PgDatabase *foo = new PgDatabase.

Guess what? It still keeps the connection after leaving its scope. Grr.

This is easily the most frustrating programming problem I have experienced
in using PostgreSQL.

Jw.
--
John Worsley, Command Prompt, Inc.
jlx(at)commandprompt(dot)com by way of pgsql-interfaces(at)commandprompt(dot)com(dot)