Changes to allow for documentation translations

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changes to allow for documentation translations
Date: 2001-05-16 18:56:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

Several parties have expressed interest in translating the documentation
or have already done so. In order to keep these in tree and be able to
build them easily I propose we make the following minor changes in the
doc/ subtree.

For each translation, make a new directory doc/src/sgml-<language>, where
<language> is a locale type string. For example, a German translation
would be in sgml-de. There you copy whatever *.sgml file you want to
translate next. When building, untranslated files will be picked up from
the "master" sgml/ directory.

Language independent things will go into doc/src/share (stylesheets,
tools, etc.).

The functionality of doc/src/sgml/Makefile will be moved into
doc/src/Makefile. When you build the documentation, the language you want
is specified via a make variable, e.g.,

doc/src$ gmake postgres.html LANG=de

(Probably not LANG, though, since that might be in the environment.)

I don't have a clue yet how to package this. It will depend on how it
comes along.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter