Re: Configurable path to look up dynamic libraries

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configurable path to look up dynamic libraries
Date: 2001-05-16 17:15:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen writes:

> It's not far from this to making pg_ctl have the ability to start all the
> postmasters in a given config file with one command.

I think there is merit in the idea to let pg_ctl start more than one
postmaster. But it probably ought to be in a separate config file, since
pg_ctl is a separate program. Maybe simply have a file with one PGDATA
value per line, and pg_ctl runs in a loop and starts a postmaster for each
directory. But what if you want to run several postmasters under several
user names (probably a good idea, otherwise, why are you running separate
postmasters)? Needs more thought.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter