Re: CREATE USER

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jesus Aneiros <aneiros(at)ucfinfo(dot)ucf(dot)edu(dot)cu>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE USER
Date: 2001-04-30 09:01:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Jesus Aneiros writes:

> Perhaps this is a stupid question but I wonder why I could not put a
> CREATE USER inside a transaction block?

Because CREATE USER may have to update a flat-text file. If you roll back
the surrounding transaction the changes to the flat-text file will not be
reverted and you may get weird authentication failures. This system is
admittedly a bit silly but the alternatives look like too much work for
little benefit. I think in 7.1 you can run CREATE USER in transaction
blocks, you just have to be careful.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter