Re: refusing connections based on load ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: refusing connections based on load ...
Date: 2001-04-25 18:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> A conncurrent-xacts limit isn't perfect of course, but I think it'd
> be pretty good, and certainly better than anything based on the
> available load-average numbers.

The concurrent transaction limit would allow you to control the absolute
load of the PostgreSQL server, but we can already do that and it's not
what we're after here. The idea behind the load average based approach is
to make the postmaster respect the situation of the overall system.
Additionally, the concurrent transaction limit would only be useful on
setups that have a lot of idle transactions. Those setups exist, but not
everywhere.

To me, both of these approaches are in the "if you don't like it, don't
use it" category.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter