Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Distribution

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Distribution
Date: 2001-04-06 21:10:36
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler writes:

> > I don't know about the Cygwin file system conventions, but do people have
> > to alter their PATH and MANPATH (and LD_LIBRARY_PATH?) setting for each
> > new package they install?
>
> No.

But if every package is installed into their own /usr/<package>, then
they'll have to.

> With more information and some reflection, I would like to configure
> Cygwin PostgreSQL as follows:
>
> configure --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/postgresql \
> --mandir=/usr/man --docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version \
> --includedir=/usr/include/postgresql --datadir=/usr/share/postgresql
>
> where $version is the PostgreSQL version (e.g., 7.1RC3) and the
> --docdir value is following a Cygwin /usr/doc convention.
>
> Note that the above configure options are essentially a subset of those
> used to generate the RPM on the PostgreSQL ftp site. The only exception
> is the --docdir value. Is this layout more acceptable?

Looks reasonable, but it really depends on what file system conventions
you need to follow. Btw., you could equivalently write

configure --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--docdir='/usr/doc/postgresql-${VERSION}' #(automatically track version changes)

The rest is set automatically.