Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] User administration tool

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jan T(dot) Kim" <kim(at)inb(dot)mu-luebeck(dot)de>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] User administration tool
Date: 2001-03-30 21:45:39
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker writes:

> > Yes, it is. Some people prefer a non-web interaface.
>
> I could understand this sentiment if you were doing something from the
> command line, but if you are doing an interface in tcl/tk, I think a web
> interface fairs better ...
>
> tcl/tk, you have to be on the same machine or risk "network problems"
> losing your link ...

A Tcl/Tk applications doesn't risk any more network problems than any
other interface to the database, unless that interface is run on the same
machine as the database, which is by no means a given.

If you are under a constant risk of "network problems" then you better fix
your network. A web interface won't magically bridge network problems.

> web, its a stateless connection, so each time you do something, it
> re-establishes the connection and performs the operation ...

It makes the whole thing slower and won't let you preserve state. This
seems to be a disadvantage to me.