Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-03-03 16:57:47
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-interfaces

D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> As some of you may have already noticed, after discussions with Thomas
> Lockhart I have officially moved the development of PyGreSQL directly
> into the PostgreSQL tree. I think that this will be beneficial to both
> the PostgreSQL project and PyGreSQL.

Btw., someone has converted the PyGreSQL README to DocBook and I'm
currently in the process of integrating it into the Programmer's Guide.
This could be even more benefit to PyGreSQL. ;-) Would you be willing
to/what are your thoughts on maintaining the PyGreSQL documentation this
way for the future? This would seem like the ideal time to make this
move.

> We were talking about the PyGreSQL version number and whether I should
> switch to tracking the PostgreSQL version number instead of using an
> independent one. Thomas points out that others may think that they
> need to upgrade when they don't need to because the number got bumped.
> On the other hand I think that people should start building PyGreSQL
> in conjunction with PostgreSQL anyway so that may not be an issue.
> Anyone have any ideas one way or the other?

I think PyGreSQL should keep its own version number, if only for
informational purposes. There may be PostgreSQL releases where PyGreSQL
changes are relatively minor, in which case you only bumb the minor
version number. Several other interfaces are using a similar approach.