Re: Redirecting

From: Steve Bern <sabern(at)eshell(dot)net>
To: Richie <dugganr(at)student(dot)cs(dot)ucc(dot)ie>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redirecting
Date: 2001-02-28 22:19:41
Lists: pgsql-php

One design thought: Avoid frames. I know they're appealing because
they provide persistent navigation, but using PHP, which gives you the
ability to seperate HTML from code, will allow you the option of easily
adding a naviagion banner or side bar that is simply dynamically added
to each page request (in essence, frames without frames!). The
need for frames, IMHO, is largly trumped by dynamic content generating
languages like PHP. The only place I can think to use them is if you do
not have control over all the site's content... But most sites aren't
like this. If you want to know why not to use frames, search google
with the phrase "why to avoid frames" and you'll get a lot of specific
hits.

Generally, you should create the perfect navigation panel, and then just
have your php page include this at the start. Just like a common footer
message you include echoed on every page...

Steve