Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-28 22:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen writes:

> What about the X sockets, then?

Sockets are not the problem, regular files are. (At least for tmpwatch.)

> But, let me ask this: is it a good thing for PostgreSQL clients to have
> hard-coded socket locations? (Good thing or not, it exists already, and
> I know it does....)

Perhaps there could be some sort of /etc/postgresql.conf file that is read
by both client and server that can control these sort of aspects. But I
don't see much use in it besides port number and socket location.
Because those are, by definition, the only parameters in common to client
and server.

> I have another question of Peter, Tom, Bruce, or anyone -- is the
> hard-coded socket location in libpq? If so, wouldn't a dynamically
> loaded libpq.so bring this location in for _any_ precompiled, not
> statically-linked, client?

Yes. Good point.