Re: PostgreSQL v7.1BETA3 Bundled and Available ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL v7.1BETA3 Bundled and Available ...
Date: 2001-01-12 16:22:05
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> I think it's reasonable to make the changelog available on the
> website (broken down into per-version segments, probably). I just
> have doubts about forcing people to download it whether they
> want it or not.

I agree that the complete changelog is probably too long, I'm just against
the per-version segmenting. Changelogs are usually used (well, by me) to
get an overview when and how segments of code were worked on. The primary
key here is not what (sub-)version the change happened in. The people
that look into this sort of thing probably use cvs or snapshots, and even
if not it makes the assumption that they downloaded and used *all*
intermediate releases and only those, otherwise reading the beta1-to-beta3
changelog is pretty pointless in terms of finding out what happened to the
code.

How about maintaining a file ChangeLog that goes back one year?

Another issue with ChangeLogs is that there's an implicit assumption that
they are up to date. These won't be.