Re: Blob question -(((

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Boris <koester(at)x-itec(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Blob question -(((
Date: 2001-01-01 17:09:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Boris wrote:

> Here are my questions:
>
> * Are they any limits to the OID Datatype? I need 50-100k per row.

50-100k COLUMNs per row? Or are you talking about binary files of
50-100K? You definitely need to use the large object fetaures of
PostgreSQL.

> * Can I do fulltext-search with OID fields (VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!)?

OIDs are just numbers. If you are using them for large objects, they are
just 'pointers' to the binary data of a file maintained by the operating
system. If you need to search, you should design your database with
apprpriate description or keyword fields.

-- Brett
http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Be circumspect in your liaisons with women. It is better to be seen at
the opera with a man than at mass with a woman.
-- De Maintenon