Re: Generating HISTORY file

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Generating HISTORY file
Date: 2000-12-19 23:12:11
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Peter, I thought I saw a recent CVS commit from you stating that you now
> can generate the HISTORY file from the SGML source. Have you tested it?

Yes.

> Is it being done automatically?

No.

It's basically a semi-simplified way of creating an HTML page with the
release notes and saving it with Netscape. It was more or less a
by-product of automating the INSTALL build. It's still nothing to get
excited about as you would still have to manually polish the resulting
text file in some ways.

If you want to try it out run gmake HISTORY in doc/src/sgml. I've also
tried lynx and w3m for HTML to text conversions but their results where
inferior in several ways.

> Also, I would like to get the release dates into the HISTORY file. Do
> you know an easy way to do that?

I can't think of anything more particular than just writing it in there
somewhere.