pg_dumpall --accounts-only

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dumpall --accounts-only
Date: 2000-12-17 18:24:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've been sneaking a peek at the Great Bridge documentation regarding the
pg_dumpaccounts utility. You may recall that I added the pg_dumpall
--accounts-only option to provide the same functionality. But it occurred
to me that the name is wrong.

The way it reads in the GB docs is that pg_dumpaccounts will dump the
global structures, whereas pg_dump dumps the local structures, and
pg_dumpall is sort of a wrapper that does both. (Not a bad idea really;
if they would have discussed it we might even have known about it.)

But equating "accounts" and "global" is wrong (leaving aside the fact that
there's no such thing as an "account" is SQL or Postgres). If/when table
spaces are implemented, a table space would probably be a global object.
If/when roles are implemented, then groups will cease to be a global
object.

To make a long story short, a more correct name for this option would be
"--globals-only". Is it okay to change this?