Re: RPM changes for 7.1.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPM changes for 7.1.
Date: 2000-12-13 20:05:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

> We already have the problem with postgresql-tk -- the pgaccess docs get
> placed in the postgresql-tk-x.y.z directory under the docs.

I find it somewhat odd that pgaccess is thrown together with pgtksh.
Mostly they have nothing to do with each other besides both being somehow
connected with Tcl/Tk. That's like a postgresql-c package: nonsense.

Similarly, I find it not useful that PL/Perl and thrown together with
Pg.pm, and PL/Tcl is thrown together with pgtclsh. Maybe you want to make
a separate postgresql-server-{perl,tcl} package. I think you already
suggested that.

> However, I am not leaning towards a separate docs subpackage -- it was
> suggested to me, and I placed it on my list for discussion.

I don't think this is a bad idea. Maybe people only want to install the
docs once in their network and make them available via a web server. I
did it that way.

> Making the postgresql package depend upon the postgresql-libs package is
> easy enough. That means you do have at leats two packages to install.

(On a quiet night you can hear the Debian users laughing...)

> One example of a split that seems to work well (AFAIK) is the amanda
> network backup tool.

> The main package contains files common to the client and server.

In PostgreSQL there are, strictly speaking, no files in common to client
and server.

Two more points:

* createlang, droplang, and pg_id should be in the server package.

* Maybe you want to create a postgresql-server-devel package with the
backend header files. These are needed rather seldom.