Re: RFC C++ Interface

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC C++ Interface
Date: 2000-12-07 16:15:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Randy Jonasz writes:

> The following are my ideas for implementing the C++ API:

My feeling is that if you want to create a new API, don't. Instead
immitate an existing one. For you ambitions you could either take the C++
API of another RDBMS product, try to shoehorn the SQL CLI onto C++, write
a C++ version of JDBC, or something of that nature. Designing a complete
and good API from scratch is a really painful job when done well, and
given that the market for C++ combined with PostgreSQL traditionally
hasn't exactly been huge you need all the head starts you can get.