Re: Is this possible or am I on drugs :)

From: shawn everett <everett(at)pgweb(dot)com>
To: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)pgsql(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is this possible or am I on drugs :)
Date: 2000-11-28 04:18:59
Lists: pgsql-general

That was so completely misread as to not even be accurate :)

Thanks for what really is a good answer though. :)

My origonal posting wasn't too clear now that I look back... :)

Let see if I can rephrase things a bit...

I am trying to create a report that puts out ~40 different fields. Some
of these fields are direct values from a database table while others are
calculations on those fields. The calculations are relatively simple,
there's just a lot of them and they're not grouped in a convienient way.

What I'd like to figure out is the best way to handle the say ~30
calculations I'll need to do to generate the report. I could query the
database and then do the calcuations in code via php, I could do them
using one giant select statement, or I could possibly dump them all into a
view provided I could find a way to pass a parameter to the view. This
passing a parameter to a view using PHP was what I was trying to get at in
my last post.

My initial preference was to let the DBMS handle the calculations.

What would be the most apropriate way?

Any thoughts you have would be apreciated. :)

Shawn