Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Steffen Schmidt <Steffen(dot)Schmidt(at)EMBL-Heidelberg(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel
Date: 2000-11-23 16:43:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Steffen Schmidt wrote:

> > Steffen Schmidt writes:
> >
> > > I'am running several postmaster on different machines, accessing the
> > > same database in parallel. Is this a good idea?
> >
> > Not at all. In fact, version 7.0 and later won't even let you do this any
> > more. Earlier versions where not so careful.
>
> Well, I am running postmasters in parallel using postgres-7.0.2. So
> postgres let me do this...???

What is the point? If they are all going back to the same database, you
can cut out some overhead and connect directly to the database to the
single postmaster running.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life to be
thankful for a good one.
-- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings