Any way to figure out why a session stopped?

From: Andrew Perrin <andrew_perrin(at)unc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Any way to figure out why a session stopped?
Date: 2002-01-04 00:13:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings-

I was running a large job, started on Wednesday evening. The job, which
used a perl script and DBI to do some manipulation and pattern extraction
from full-text documents in a PostgreSQL database (version 7.1.3, running
on debian linux), stopped about 1/3 of the way through its task.

Unfortunately, I don't still have the window open from which I ran the
script. Is there any way to figure out why it stopped, and thereby fix the
problem? There's nothing very illuminating in /var/log/postgres.log, and
from psql I can insert rows into all the tables, so I don't think it was
an issue of the tables growing too big. However, they are very big, so if
that rings any bells let me know:

auth=# select count(*) from patterns;
count
---------
2720343
(1 row)

auth=# select count(*) from pattern_occurrences;
count
---------
3176859
(1 row)

There is, though, plenty of disk space for them to play with:

aperrin(at)hm269-26876:~$ df /var/lib/postgres/data
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 9614148 3675684 5450088 41% /

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin(at)unc(dot)edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA