Re: tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x
Date: 2003-09-08 06:44:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > One thing that started worrying me having found what looks like a bug in
> > to_tsquery_name from the 7.3-stable version of tsearch v2 is the question of
> > bug fixes applied only to the latest [HEAD presumably] branch but not to the
> > 7.3 stable branch.
>
> There isn't any 7.3 version of tsearch2, at least not in the community
> distribution; and there won't be, because it hasn't been through a beta
> test cycle. The bug you just found is exactly the sort of thing we hope
> gets shaken out during beta.

Yes, sorry, I was refering to the version of tsearch2 labeled as being for use
in a 7.3 postgresql server as opposed to any other version of the server, like
the 7.4 in beta now. I realise that tsearch2 hadn't been through a beta cycle
on 7.3 but I'm forever an optimist. Obviously it's those bugs being found as
part of the 7.4 beta but not applied back to the version suitable for a 7.3
server that concern me now.

> > Unfortunately I haven't managed to find the CVS repository (or cvsweb for it)
> > in order to check differences. Are there any?
>
> The community cvsweb is at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
> I have no idea whether Oleg and Teodor are maintaining a separate one
> for their 7.3 tsearch2 back-port.

Ah, I see, I took it to be that tsearch2 had it's own repository somewhere. I
should have switched my brain on for this one. It looks like the 7.3 capable
version is not within the main repository (unless it just hasn't been tagged
when released).

> > However, for me the main concern is whether the 7.3-stable branch has been
> > sufficiently tested for release into a production environment
>
> Surely not. tsearch2 is beta quality at this point, whether you run it
> under 7.3 or 7.4. If you think its 7.3 version is somehow more stable
> than the 7.4 version, you are badly mistaken.

No, I thought it would be the same, but obviously only if the bug fixes are
applied to both as appropiate.

> But having said that --- you just fixed the only problem you know to
> have been biting you, so why not keep running it?

That's why I've been thinking of still using tsearch2 but I do need to check I
can revert back to tsearch v1 quickly should there be a problem.

> Software does not
> magically become more stable when people aren't using it.
> You might as well keep on helping to test tsearch2.

I will be doing that if I finally get around to working on an old
project. That'll be a nice test of a 7.2.x to 7.4 upgrade.

--
Nigel J. Andrews