locale problems

From: Hornyak Laszlo <kocka(at)tigrasoft(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: locale problems
Date: 2003-08-07 18:10:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all!

I made a failure. I changed operating system under my database from Red
Hat 8.0 to Debian 3.0 (Woody), without pg_dump-ing the database. The
database version haven`t changed. Now I cannot start my database on the
same data directory, it stops with the following failure:

Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''
FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_MESSAGES': 'en_US.UTF-8'
pg_ctl: cannot start postmaster
Examine the log output.

I tryed with modifying the postgresql.conf with a number of different
locale settings but they did not work. What is the shortest way to get my
database back? Should I install RedHat back?

Thanks,
Laszlo