Re: Pg_dump for 7.0.2

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Robert Fitzpatrick <robert(at)webtent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg_dump for 7.0.2
Date: 2003-06-10 21:19:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I have a Cobalt RaQ server that hosts a PostgreSQL 7.0.2 database that
> is part of the GUI OS. Trying to backup with pg_dump and after reading
> through the archives, I see that in order to upgrade or move data from a
> 7.0.x server, you have to use the 7.0 pg_dump utilities. So, do I
> install 7.0 on another port for just this reason or can I copy some
> files from the 7.0.2 server to the server that I want to do the dump
> from? The server doing the dump is a 7.3.3 server. I tried just copying
> the 7.3.3 pg_dump binary, but no luck.

Why not leave the 7.0.2 running to serve the admin GUI?

I have control over a similar sort of setup for a client and rather than mess
around with what the point and click sys admin interface does, with the risk of
breaking an already broken system (just as well I didn't request a reboot thus
losing my existing log in shells seeing as my in ability to get new logins on
it was because it had decided to disable my password in /etc/passwd and that
was the only remote loginable account!) I just run the real database, which is
version 7.3.x with a different default port. I know what I'm doing so I link
against and run the right binaries and I let the GUI stuff continue using what
it wants to use. No porting pain. Although if the admin interface had been
using php I'd have been a bit stuck.

--
Nigel J. Andrews