Re: Scheduled jobs

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zlatko Michailov <zmichailov(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scheduled jobs
Date: 2003-05-12 22:22:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Zlatko Michailov <zmichailov(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > I didn't find any documentation mentioning scheduled jobs. I assume
> > there is no such a feature yet. I would like to implement it if
> > someone helps me with the development process (I am brand new to
> > OpenSource projects).
>
> > Basically the feature should include scheduling function exeution at:
> > - postmaster startup
> > - postmaster shutdown
> > - a specified moment
> > - a time of the day/month/year
> > - recurring at a time interval
>
> Use cron. I see no value in duplicating cron's functionality inside
> Postgres.

I was going to say use cron :)

Only cron can't handle some of those cases listed, but then one could always
patch one's own local installation of pg_ctl etc. to run things at startup and
shutdown.

I'm not sure how specified moment differs from time of day/month/year (except
can cron handle years?)

--
Nigel J. Andrews