Re: CREATE TABLE oddity?

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE oddity?
Date: 2002-10-31 14:10:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
>

> > I must be missing something but I don't know what and I can't see
> > anything in the create table documentation (from 7.2.1) mentioning this.
> >
> > When I do, in psql:
> >
> > -- in this I have tried atype as int, serial and varchar
> > CREATE TABLE user (
> > something atype
> > );
> >
> > I get the following response:
> >
> > ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "user"
> >
> > It is down to the table name I'm trying to use but I don't see why
> > it's disallowed. Is user a special reserved word in the parser?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-keywords-appendix.html

Thanks, and thanks for not pointing out my stupidity in not looking for a
reserved keywords appendix.

I guess everyone already knows that MySQL differs from the standards by
allowing user as an identifier.

I see quoting the table name does allow it to be used. However that still means
I'll have to go through the application and change it's usage unless the DBI
system automatically does that, which I doubt.

--
Nigel J. Andrews