Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Helge Bahmann <bahmann(at)math(dot)tu-freiberg(dot)de>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, mark Kirkwood <markir(at)slingshot(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Date: 2002-08-09 10:12:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Helge Bahmann wrote:

> > As far as I can make out from the libc docs, largefile support is
> > automatic if the macro _GNU_SOURCE is defined and the kernel supports
> > large files.
> >
> > Is that a correct understanding? or do I actually need to do something
> > special to ensure that pg_dump supports large files?
>
> in this case you still have to use large file functions in the code
> explicitly
>
> the easiest way to get large file support is to pass
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the preprocessor, and I think I remember doing
> this once for pg_dump
>
> see /usr/include/features.h

There is some commentary on this in my /usr/doc/libc6/NOTES.gz, which I presume
Oliver has already found since I found it after reading his posting. It gives a
bit more detail that the header file for those who want to check this out. I
for one was completely unaware of those 64 bit functions.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---