Re: create function: number of parameters

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create function: number of parameters
Date: 2002-07-15 23:07:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Neil,

> You can edit FUNC_MAX_ARGS in src/include/pg_config.h, recompile and
> re-initdb.

Being a rather simple task I just edited the header file as you described,
recompiled and installed postgreSQL 7.2.1. For testing, if raising the
limit works at all, I created a dummy function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
create_customer(
INTEGER, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR,
INTEGER, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, INTEGER, INTEGER,
INTEGER, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR,
VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR,
VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR,
VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR)
RETURNS INTEGER AS '
BEGIN
RETURN 1;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'

I used the function by calling:

SELECT create_customer(
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

Seems to work as it returns 1 (1 row). So I will step further into it and
assemble the code for the function body now and check thoroughly wether
all the parameters get handled oorrectly.

Thanks for your immediate and accurate assistance!

Kind regards
... Ralph ...