Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date: 2002-07-06 10:07:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > > Post-gres-Q-L ... again, that is difficult to pronounce in what way?
> >
> > With the accent on which sylable?
>
> I never really thought about it ... but you tell me:
>
> http://www2.ca.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3
>
> I don't really hear an accent on any of the syllables in there, but I've
> been known to be tone deaf too :)

I can't say I've had any trouble thinking how to say PostgreSQL but I don't
think it rolls off the tongue as easily as SQL Server for instance.

Although I think that name is a good name using Postgres SQL Server would
enable people to shorten it to just the Postgres part while still clearly
identifying what it is they are on about, I'm ignoring the issue of more
experienced people remembering/knowing about just plain Postgres. Plus it has
the added benefit of being similar to another product, i.e. Microsoft SQL
Server, which people already say. Sometimes, okay so most times, this is
shortened to SQL Server and we'd just be reversing this emphasis.

Anyway, I do quite like the PostgreSQL, even if I've had to go back and
capitalise that S twice now, I just thought I'd point out the blindingly
obvious.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director