Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers
Date: 2002-05-06 15:31:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Re: BackendID and the schema search path

Coming back to this subject if I may but only briefly, I hope. How about making
a slight change to current_schemas() and including an optional argument such
that something like:

current_schemas(1)

returns the complete list of schemas in the search path including the implicit
temporary space and the pg_catalog (if not already listed obviously), while
current_schemas() and current_schemas(0) behave as now.

An alternative is to provide a get_backend_id() call but I don't think there's
really appropiate and then means the client has to know how to construct the
name of the temporary schema, which isn't a good idea.

Having something like this would enable client's like PgAccess to determine the
complete list of visible objects. Without it it's difficult to see how it is
possible to include temporary objects in a list of tables and such. In such
a circumstance I'm inclined to say temporary objects are intermediate items and
so of no interest to the PgAccess user.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director