Re: implementing query timeout

From: Jessica Perry Hekman <jphekman(at)dynamicdiagrams(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: implementing query timeout
Date: 2002-03-14 01:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> You bet, but it would be done in the backend, not in jdbc. Is that OK?

Theoretically this is okay. I am more comfortable in Java than in C and I
hadn't looked at the backend code at all, but I'll take a peek and see if
it looks like something I'd feel comfortable doing.

> I have some ideas that should make it pretty easy. If you set an
> alarm() in the backend on transaction start, then call the query
> cancel() code if the alarm() goes off, that should do it. Of course,
> you reset the alarm if the query finishes before the timeout.

Sounds straightforward enough. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at this
before the end of this week.

Thanks!

Jessica