Re: [GENERAL] ACK table corrupted, unique index violated.

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ACK table corrupted, unique index violated.
Date: 2001-12-13 00:30:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Brian,

> I've been doing a little investigating and i might have a possible lead.
> The two tables that were corrupted recently had new indexes put on them that
> are based on a plpgsql function. Basically in the form "create index blah
> on table(myfunction(blah_id))" These are the only two tables in my system
> that have an index using a plpgsql function. Both tables became corrupt on
> the same day, and the corruption happened the night that i added the
> indexes. I have no imperical evidence to support that this is the cause,
> but it seems possible.

I've actually seen a very similiar problem, but in a controlled
'situation'. That is, I was intentionally modifying the
source. Unfortunately, I turfed code which produced these kinds of errors
on vacuum but it had to do with recreating heaps and notflushing old heap
data from the cache.

Perhaps you could include the plpgsql code so that other people could
recreate?

> One other note, even after recreating the database, I'm getting NOTICE
> "InvalidateShardeInvalid" and "RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow".
> I never used to get them and now I'm getting tons of them. Should this
> concern me? I don't understand the implications.

No problem here. These messages really should be surpressed -- they seem
muchof a problem than they are.

Gavin