Re: More Red Hat information

From: David Wheeler <David(at)Wheeler(dot)net>
To: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More Red Hat information
Date: 2001-06-26 14:41:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> At 8:57 -0700 2001-06-25, David Wheeler wrote:
> >On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> >> Here is a link with more information than the press release:
> >>
> >> http://www.redhat.com/products/software/database/
> >
> >$2225 ???? Are they *kidding*???
>
> If they really deliver, i.e. you get reasonable phone+email support
> from people who can actually _do_something_ instead of giving you the
> runaround (phoned M$ tech support lately with a _real_ bug report?
> *), it's cheap as dirt as databases go.

M$ is a good example, as their database is quite capable, and costs only a
few hundred bucks (last time I looked). If RedHat DB is three times the
price, IME many PHBs will go with SQL Server, instead, just because it's
cheaper, and they know the Microsoft name (and FUD).

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
David(at)Wheeler(dot)net ICQ: 15726394