2GB file size limit

From: "Thalis A(dot) Kalfigopoulos" <thalis(at)cs(dot)pitt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 2GB file size limit
Date: 2001-05-22 01:31:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,
I upgraded from kernel 2.2.18 (Slakcware7.1 on x86) to 2.4.4 only to find out that I will still not get LFS due to my glibc2.1.3.
My question is the following: I know people have reported DBs larger than 2GB, but is there any single file that gets larger than 2GB? Can anyone make an estimate of what overall_DB_size will cause me to hit the 2GB-filesize limit?
Any ideas how to work around this other than upgrading glibc or changing OS or architecture? Having survived through Slackware evolution, I bet it'll be the last to adopt any changes in the field *sigh*

thanks in advance,
thalis