Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Isiah Thomas <proinfo(at)hongkong(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question
Date: 2001-04-27 14:33:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Isiah Thomas wrote:

> I read some docunment say that to start the postgres service must type this
> command
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start

That's pretty specific to RedHat and RedHat-derived systems. (And then,
only if you install PostgreSQL from the RPMs, which if you're using
RedHat, you probably are).

A less distribution-specific way of saying the same thing is

$ service postgres start

But, really, you probably want to do something like

$ pg_ctl

--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>