Re: Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Clayton Vernon <cvernon(at)enron(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Geoff Caplan <geoff(at)productivity(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)
Date: 2001-04-26 20:19:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Clayton Vernon wrote:

> Joel-
>
> In all fairness, there aren't any good HTML-based Unix tutorials. I've
> looked for them. In particular, Sun is worthless here, curious since their
> Java tutorial is (IMO) really well done.
>
> I'm hoping PostgreSQL is MORE stable than Oracle in our Solaris environment.
> The massive CPU/disk footprint of Oracle generates reliability errors in our
> databases which I hope can be avoided in a leaner package.

I remember struggling for days to install Oracle 8i on a 192MB laptop
(don't ask why... fscking client requirement). Yeeks.

> This marvelous mailing list really gives me confidence.

Yep. Overall, I think PG offers *great* online support.

Some possible places to start looking:

1)

Does anyone have a copy of the O'Reilly book

"Unix for Oracle DBAs Pocket Reference"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixoracledbapr/)

This might be the kind of information that would be helpful.

2)

Eric Raymond has

"Unix and Internet Fundamentals" HOWTO at
http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO/index.html

3)

From DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO

http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html