Re: Converting from access to pgsql..questions...

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: mazzo <jambo(at)aruba(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting from access to pgsql..questions...
Date: 2001-04-10 21:20:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, mazzo wrote:

> First of all, since i'm new to this mailing list....Hi all..!!
> My first question..
> I have to convert an access 97 database to pgsql...are there any tools to do
> this?? I checked the website but the link for the tools are not working so i
> tried to export the tables from access using the ODBC driver...(i'll be
> using access to insert data into these tables)...everything went just fine
> except one small (well not so small..) problem...
> If i export a table i have problems with the primary keys if they are set to
> Counters....when i export them to pgsql they get turned into numeric and
> since all the primary keys of my database are counters i have big problems
> since i will have to update these manually...Is there some way to solve this
> prob..?? I was thinking of using a trigger...is this a good idea?? Can it be
> done..?? Or is there a better way to solve these problems..??
> Thanks in advance for your answers..and excuse me for my english and if i
> made any mistakes..(i'm italian..!)

You want pgAdmin, which is a great Windows admin tool for PG, and can help
w/the conversion.

http://www.greatbridge.org/project/pgadmin/projdisplay.php

There's a useful FAQ of info on PostgreSQL + Access at

http://www.scw.org

Your English is *much* better than my Italian! :-)

--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>