Re: Coppatibility of ODBC drivers with forecoming 7.1

From: Joel Burton <joel(at)scw(dot)org>
To: "Emmanuel Charpentier,,," <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Coppatibility of ODBC drivers with forecoming 7.1
Date: 2000-12-19 17:47:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Emmanuel Charpentier,,, wrote:

> >> It seems that PosgreSQL 7.1, which is in beta and seems to be close
> >> the out door, will bring us, among other things, the much awaited
> >> outer joins.
> >>
> >> I wonder if a new ODBC driver will be necessary to be able to use this
> >> feature, or if the current (6.50.0, IIRC) will be able to use it more
> >> or less "automagically".
> >
> > I've been using 7.1devel for a few months w/ODBC (mostly Access,
> > some VB), and it works fine for outer joins.
>

> You mean that you use it mostly from Windows, right ?

Yes. I have fairly little experience w/Linux/Unix as an ODBC client.

> I was thinnking about uses from other Unix programs. While a bit
less
> efficient than direct use of PostgreSQL libraries on the same machine,
> use of ODBC as a standard access method to data makes life a *lot*
> easier when you have to port to other machines and/or other platforms.

Yes, for those Unix/Linux programs that use ODBC well. I find StarOffice
a bit flakey, for instance.

Most of the Unix/Linux work we do is wrapped up in things like
Perl's DBD module, so it has a different kind of wrapper, but, of
course, that's programming, not application use.

> > More information & a precompiled driver at www.scw.org/pgaccess
>

> I've seen this. May I suggest to put the FAQ in (even rough) HTML format
> ? The lines you typed having no formatting, one has to continuouslu
> scroll across the screen to read the text. EPITA ...

There is (& has been) an HTML version there. It's not pretty,
but no scrolling involved.

Good luck,
JB