Re: Linux for S/390 Patches

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Neale(dot)Ferguson(at)softwareAG-usa(dot)com, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux for S/390 Patches
Date: 2000-11-17 16:35:28
Lists: pgsql-ports

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > I have used the latest snapshot to create the following patches to provide
> > support for Linux on S/390. As you can see the additions are trivial. The
^^^^^
> > build went without a hitch.

> We list platforms by "OS" and "Processor". What would be the correct
> entries for S/390? Presumably S/390 is the processor, but I'm not
> familiar with how IBM does their labeling...

About that list: We need to define a new primary key for it.

For example, "Linux 2.2.x" is wildly inaccurate. Red Hat probably works,
but maybe Caldera won't (true story). Maybe 2.2.16-suse-patches works but
2.2.14 won't (true story). The glibc version is probably equally (if not
more) important as the kernel version. So in matters Linux I think we
need to list the name and version of the distribution as it shows on the
box.

We also need to keep track of the compiler used. I've had situations
where gcc 2.8.1 didn't work on an otherwise normal Linux box. We've also
listed Solaris as supported although it was provably impossible to build
PostgreSQL with the native compiler.

I'd suggest a couple of concrete points to watch for before the upcoming
release:

1. Use the config.guess output as the primary way to index supported
platforms. This will make maintaining the build system much easier.

2. If there are several vendors that ship this system, also record the
name by which you'd ask for your system in the store.

3. If you didn't use the compiler (or other binutils) that came with your
system, record that.

4. Only list as supported actual systems from which you have actual
reports, no "3.x".