Re: the docs, and newbies.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the docs, and newbies.
Date: 2000-11-04 21:46:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

Jeff MacDonald writes:

> I know the first time i read this part of the docs i thought
> to myself .. hrmm do they mean auser with root privileges, but
> a different name, or just an ordinary user to do postgres stuff ?

1. Create the PostgreSQL server account. This is the user the server will
run as. For production use you should create a separate, unprivileged
account ("postgres" is commonly used). If you do not have root access
or just want to play around, your own user account is enough, but
running the server as root is a security risk and therefore not
allowed.

adduser postgres

What part is unclear?

> just wondering if there is any thoughts people have to make the install
> directions more appealing to "get people in" but at the same time
> experienced UNIX users can just ignore certain parts of the docs..

There have been continuous improvements to this end. Specific suggestions
are welcome. But it's not our job to explain Unix to people.