FAQ update for 7.1

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FAQ update for 7.1
Date: 2000-11-04 20:16:32
Lists: pgsql-docs

Several FAQ items should be updated for the 7.1 release. I include some
suggested new wordings and rationale here.

1.3) What Unix platforms does PostgreSQL run on?

Suggestion: "In general, a modern Unix-compatible platform should be able
to run PostgreSQL. The platforms that had received explicit testing at the
time of release are listed in the installation instructions."

Rationale: Maintaining a separate list in the FAQ is prone to get out of
date quickly (as it is already).

1.6) Where can I get support?

Should probably contain a link to
<http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/commercial-support.html>.

3.1) Why does initdb fail?

The reasons listed will not happen in 7.1, so it should probably be
removed.

3.2) How do I install PostgreSQL somewhere other than /usr/local/pgsql?

Suggestions: "Use the --prefix option when running 'configure'. See the
installation instructions for details."

Rationale: Anything else won't work.

3.8) Why can't I access the database as the root user?

Sure you can.

4.4) How do I get a list of tables or other things I can see in psql?

s,pgsql/src/bin/psql/psql.c,src/bin/psql/describe.c,

4.6) What is the maximum size for a row, table, database?

Update for TOAST.

4.24) How do I do an outer join?

Outer joins are supported in 7.1.

5.5) I have changed a source file. Why does the recompile not see the change?

Currently: "The Makefiles do not have the proper dependencies for include
files. You have to do a make clean and then another make."

Add: "If you are using GCC you can use the --enable-depend option for
'configure' to make the compiler compute the dependencies automatically."