Re: Solaris FAQ

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris FAQ
Date: 2000-10-19 16:14:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> I see in makefiles/Makefile.solaris:
>
> %.so: %.o
> $(LD) -G -Bdynamic -o $@ $<
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is that OK?

This is unrelated. The issue at hand is that the postgres/postmaster
executable must export its symbols so that the dynamically loaded modules
(e.g., PL handlers) can refer back to them. Normally this is done using
-Wl,-E when linking the postmaster executable. However, the Solaris
linker does not have this option, I believe it does it by default. So we
have to first find out what linker is being used and then write something
like

if {GNU ld}
export_dynamic := -Wl,-E
endif